The Raymond L. Young Elementary School, originally known as the Bemiston School, had its beginning in 1929. The school has provided 90 years of successful elementary education for the surrounding community and many county students. The school was built initially to serve children whose parents were employed by the Bemis Bag Company. In the spring of 1955, the company deeded the school to the city of Talladega. Since that time, the school plant has been expanded five times to serve the population.